Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tuesday, April 12

This morning was super-slow for me - I didn't run an errand for an hour and a half.  This was due to the Appropriations and Ways & Means committees at 10:00, and caucuses after the meetings.  I keep in mind that just because I'm not busy doesn't mean that things aren't going on around here.

I was at the switchboard and someone called wanting her name off "the list".  I asked her who was trying to contact her and she didn't know.  She said that she and many people she knows have gotten tired of political phone calls, and on the one she just got (which was forwarded to the House) she just pushed all the numbers to talk to someone.  I simply told her that it's not the government trying to contact her; it's political action groups, and a surprising number of people simply agree to talk to their rep to tell them to vote or not vote for something they know little or nothing about.

This afternoon HF 484, HF 363, SF 462, SF 456*, SF 365, SF 407, SF 424, SF 495*, HF 660, and SF 482 were debated and passed.

SF 456 is a bill relating to persons prohibited from possessing or receiving firearms because of mental health commitments or adjudications and to petitions for relief from such prohibitions.

I read this article in the DM Register a few weeks ago about the long-term ombudsman.  The ombuds(wo)man is the "voice" on behalf of the elders in Iowa.  The bill it refers to is SF 495, which was passed today unanimously.

No comments:

Post a Comment